Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

We did it!

So even though Evan and I really finished college 4 months ago, it wasn't really official until we dressed up like this:
After 5 years of studying, exam taking, numerous papers, and several pointless assignments we got to show off our intelligence by wearing mu-mus and cardboard hats. Yes, we are that intellectually inclined. I think our costumes scream "Look Ma! I gradumatated!" more than "Ah yes, I did attend university for several years and received my Baccalaureate degree after arduous study and testing." But I guess people smarter than myself decided this is what educated people are supposed to look like. At first I was excited to wear the mu-mu, I mean gown. I thought because it was so big maybe I would look skinny in it. As evidenced by the pictures associated with this post, the gown only makes me look bigger, more house-esque if you will. But I guess people who tend to wear mu-mus, being larger in physical dimensions than others, don't usually look skinnier in said mu-mu. I'm not sure why I thought I'd be any different.
We attended both commencement (the big one with all graduates) and my convocation (the smaller one with only education graduates). Both ceremonies were good, not that I would attend another one of my own free will. The only thing that would have made them better would have been if we were handed a wad of cash and a card telling us where we would be getting jobs. Wow, that would be nice!
There haven't been any real changes in our employment situation. We are both waiting to hear about jobs. We are also considering selling all of our possessions and moving to a beach in Mexico. But with the whole swine flu/won't get it if you eat pork/wash your hands 5,000 times a day thing going on down there I think we'll stay put for now. I did stumble across these quotes and found comfort in them so I thought I'd add a little optimism to this post. Here goes:
"God's ways of educating our desires are, of course, always the most perfect... and what is God's way? Everywhere in nature we are taught the lessons of patience and waiting. We want things a long time before we get them, and the fact that we wanted them a long time makes them all the more precious when they come." ~Joseph F. Smith

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude." ~Joseph B. Wirthlin, Come What May and Love It.
So I guess patience is the name of the game. Evan told me one time that I'm a patient person. He's obviously never heard the conversations I have in my head.



*Not pictured: Evan's parents (I'll get those pictures soon!)

5 comments:

Mike said...

Well, the pictures help convince me a little, but I'm still not sure I really believe you and Magic gradumamated. I'll believe it when I have your diploma in my hand. You will then get your diploma back after I have a couple hundred dollars in my hand.

Whitney said...

Or we could just let you go on believing that we never really graduated, because let's face it, our diplomas haven't really helped us much.

Margaret said...

YAY!!

Stephanie said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!!!! I like that they changed to the navy blue mu mu's...they had black when I graduated... It looks more like the school colors...and I like the white thingy you had on...Mine was Navy blue. Im jealous. But I am SO excited for you! It was fun for me to put on my mu mu and take pictures and graduate. But real world? Not so much.

Loved the quotes!!!

Chelsea said...

I loved the quotes - so inspirational! I'm going to apply that top one to my pregnancy! Only three more weeks and hopefully Mr. Squiggle makes his debut on time. I'm a punctual person so he better follow suit!