Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing

It's been way toooooooo long since I have posted anything on here, and it's way toooooooooo late for me to write a long, witty blog post about how exciting my life is now. So I'll just give you the highlights. I am teaching 4th grade in American Fork and enjoying it very much. I finally have my own classroom! Although I am exhausted at 3:30 each day, I am glad I have the chance to use what I learned (and paid for) during my years at BYU. I'll have to start making a list of the hilarious things my students say. The most recent innocent, yet gut-busting comment came during social studies. We were talking about the different forms of government that have been in place in Utah from Native Americans to the government we have today. As we discussed how the pioneers moved West and settled in what is now Salt Lake City, I told the students that they named the area where they lived Deseret. I then asked if any students knew what the word Deseret means. After several attempts at guessing the right answer, I called on one student who was enthusiastically raising his hand. We'll call him Jimmy. The exchange went as follows:

Me: Jimmy, do you think you know what Deseret means?
Jimmy: Ummmm, does it mean bookstore?
Me: Ha! Hey, that's a great guess! Are you thinking about Deseret Book?
Jimmy: Ya.
Me: Well it doesn't mean bookstore, but good thinking!

Hilarious. I probably would have guessed the same thing if I hadn't learned what Deseret means from wikipedia...I mean The Book of Mormon. I really like having fun with my students and am getting excited for Halloween. I've told them I am really going to try to scare them and they are convinced I can't. We'll have to see about that!

In more personal and exciting news...Evan and I are having a baby! Our baby, who will probably not actually have a name even after it is born because we cannot agree on a moniker we both like, is due March 17th! The first trimester was pretty easy. I threw up once and could handle the nausea. At the end of my first trimester, the nausea got a lot worse and I had ZERO energy. I would come home from school and fall asleep at 7 pm. I am almost 5 months along and feel like I have more energy, but have been having bouts of vomiting the past few days. Gross, but it isn't terrible. I mean, I don't like refunding my breakfast right after I eat it, but I usually feel better afterwards. We find out if we are having a boy or a girl at the end of October. We are beyond excited to start our family!

So life is busy and kinda stressful, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I like being busy and contributing monetarily to our family, especially now that we know we'll be adding another mouth to feed soon. Hope this was a good enough update because mother and baby are ready for bed!

P.S. Any name suggestions are appreciated!

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

YAY!!! I've been waiting for an update!!Congrats on the baby - I've found when you ask for name suggestions people say the most ridiculous things! Good luck, it took us all 9 months to finally decide on Kyler in the last few weeks before he was born.

Margaret said...

Name: Margaret Burdette Claudia Jordan

kiri jo said...

OH MY GOSH!!! how exciting! congratulations to both of you. that is great news. i think this may be one of my favorite updates you have done so far. love you!

Evan said...

Love it (especially the title)! I'm super excited right along with you and can't wait to settle on a name...eventually.

Margaret said...

ok ok you dont have to name your child that....just name it Margaret:) Why dont you set your baby ticker back 30 days so we can have the kids at the same time because your baby comes when the ticker says zero days...no sooner no later. Its all up to the ticker

Kjirs said...

May I suggest Connor Evan Jordan for a boy and Krista Marie Jordan for a girl.

Claudia said...

Whitty,
I just read your blog for the first time, and I am SO impressed. (Obviously took after your mother!)
So cute-feels like you're talking face to face with us. We are just as excited as you are about "River's" arrival.:) You have been a real trooper through everything, and such a TERRIFIC teacher too. I say that as a former educator myself and not as your mother. Love the pics. Like I said before, pregnancy agrees with you. Going to get me some of those prenatal vitamins myself! Sure love you three!
Yo Mama