Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I don't know how to feel

I can't remember how I first heard that bin Laden was killed. It must have been when I was on the computer yesterday morning. What I do remember is feeling a few different emotions: shocked, then worried, then sad. Shocked because I don't really think about Osama bin Laden on a daily basis and honestly had kind of forgotten about him. Not forgotten who he was and what he did, but that he was still being hunted. Then I started to worry because I began to think about the threat of retaliation. Then I felt sad because of the world we live in. And even though taking out bin Laden is being called a victory for those who are fighting terror, it doesn't feel like a victory to me.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. I feel like even though one terrorist mastermind is gone, there are many other people just waiting to step up and take his place. But I also feel like the United States can't just sit back and let groups terrorize and kill our people. We have to defend ourselves. That's why I don't know how to feel. On the one hand I'm glad bin Laden is no longer on this earth to promote evil. But I'm saddened that I have to raise my children in a world so full of hate.

I wasn't one of the people celebrating in the streets. I just didn't feel like a celebration was in order.

I would like to add that I am grateful to the men and women who serve in the armed forces. They leave their families and loved ones to protect me and my family. And that's something I can celebrate.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

i felt all that too! and patriotic and scared and confused and lots of other crazy things. what a world we live in, right?. wow.

YOURS, MINE AND OURS

Tori Wilding said...

Well said. I feel the same way.