Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brooklyn birthday

This year my birthday will rank up there with some of the best birthdays I've had. And I've had some good birthdays.

For example, there was the time when I was 4 and went to the circus and they sang happy birthday to me. (I found out later from my mom that it was actually the circus' birthday and that's why they were singing. I still choose to believe it was all for me.) For my 10th birthday I got my tonsils out. My mom knew I was tired of getting strep throat when she asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said I wanted to get my tonsils taken out. For my 11th birthday I had an ice skating party. That's probably the last time I went ice skating and didn't walk away feeling like my ankles were broken. For my 16th birthday I had a hot tub party/sleepover. That was fun because I invited all girls and we pigged out on pizza and cake because there weren't any guys to impress. (I didn't really know any guys who I wanted to invite or who would have come. I don't miss high school.) Then when I turned 21 my roommates threw a surprise party for me and we all had a blast dancing around our living room. And there may have been the occasional awkward slow dance with a guy that you were friends with but he was making it uncomfortably obvious that he wanted to be more than friends (shudder).

And now I'm here, my 26th birthday. 26 sounds old, but I certainly don't feel old. At all.

My day o' birth started out with Blake sleeping through the night until 9am! He usually wakes up around 7, but this morning he must have remembered that I whispered in his ear last night that it was my birthday and that mommy would really like at least 8 hours of sleep. Check!

Then the doorbell rang with birthday package #1. I, not being appropriately dressed, let my neighbor get the package and he kindly left it outside my door. Thank you appropriately dressed neighbor. I opened the package to find that my dear mother sent me my favorite cake from a local grocery store in Virginia.
 2 seconds after I took this picture, Blake grabbed the bow and almost threw the cake off his tray. 
That was a close one. I still would have eaten the cake.

Then I did my workout (these legs and back aren't going to work themselves out no matter how many times I say, "But it's my birrrrrrrrrrrrrthdaaaayyyyyyyyy!") and got ready for my lunch date! Of course the doorbell rang with birthday package #2 right around the time I wasn't appropriately dressed for the second time this morning. So I let my other neighbor take the package. Thank you other appropriately dressed neighbor.

I dropped Blake off with our neighbor who has a baby his age and was off to Manhattan. Doesn't that sound so glamorous? It sounds glamorous, until the smell of urine hits your nose as you descend the subway stairs. Ok, that made it sound disgusting. So it's in between glamorous and disgusting. I met Evan at Penelope's and had a fantastic date, sans baby. This is the first time we've been on a date since we moved to Brooklyn. It was nice to eat lunch sitting down and not having to clean food off the floor that your baby has decided to take out of his mouth and throw.
The Whitney I see in pictures is not the Whitney I see in the mirror. Why is that?
 
I thought it would be fun to walk around Manhattan, but since I was going to be doing it by myself, it was freezing outside, and I had just enough time to make it home to pick up Blake, I decided to head home. But not without a picture of Evan in front of his office building. I could tell he didn't want me to take a picture of him. So I made sure to start yelling instructions on how he should pose nice and loud so everyone could hear.
Super sunny does not equal super warm.
 
I made it home, but not without one person singing Stand By Me on the subway and a homeless person asking everyone for money. I didn't give either one any money. I probably should have at least given the homeless person some money.

I still have 7 hours of birthday left and I plan to eat cake until I can't eat it no mo'! And apparently there are more presents...for me...to open...tonight. Happy birthday to me!
My hair...looks scary when I wake up in the morning.

5 comments:

Evan said...

SOOOO glad you've had a good birthday thus far. Be excited for presents!
:o)

rach said...

your mom sent you a ukrops cake for your birthday???? color me JEALOUS!!!! I hope that you have a WONDERFUL 26th birthday!! (and eat a peice of cake just for me! Thanks!)

Losing Brownies said...

Have a very happy birthday, friend! You look great, even if it's not what you see in the mirror!

Lindsay said...

Hooray for happy birthdays! I'm glad yours was a good one. And I'm glad you liked Penelope's. Wasn't that spinach artichoke dip divine? I actually have since found a recipe that tastes very similar to theirs. One of these days we'll have to make it and indulge. :)

Emily said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Sorry I'm a day late and a present short. But I'm glad you got out of the house and away from the baby to have some adult time.

I love your posts.

Happy Birthday!!!