Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

confession

Teacher stuff makes me giddy.

I know, it sounds stupid. And I know I'm not teaching right now. In fact, after my first year of teaching, I wasn't convinced I'd be going back to teach after my children were grown. I thought, "Well, maybe I'll do speech pathology or specialize in something where I can work with a handful of children at a time instead of 31 little monsters who apparently don't know how to FOLLOW DIRECTIONS." (Just kidding about the monsters part...kind of...sometimes.)

But there I was in Target. The dollar spot. I always take a quick peek just to see if they have anything good. And this time they did. Teacher stuff.

As I perused the teacher stuff I was coming up with all sorts of ways I could use it. "Oh, when I set up my classroom expectations and good habits, I could use these signs. I'd hold up the 'look and listen' one after I give my attention signal. And then when recess is over I could hold up the 'line up here' sign. Ohhhh and after a project I would hold up the 'time to clean-up' sign! It will be magical!"

And then I found some cool bookmarks that say, "Read with a friend." I'm sure they are meant to be given away, but as I turned them over in  my hand a few times I kept thinking, "I wouldn't give these away. I'd use these as a reward. I'd hand them out to students who were reading quietly and they could pick someone to sit beside while they read. Then I'd collect them at the end of reading time and use them all year. Again, more magic!"

I even showed my husband what I bought when I got home. I immediately launched into an explanation of why I was buying teacher supplies when I in fact am not a teacher. "I couldn't help it. I just love this stuff."

And after buying those few items, I'm almost convinced I will teach again.

2 comments:

Losing Brownies said...

I love teaching supplies! I can get lost in Lakeshore or any of the other school stores!

Tori Wilding said...

hahaha I like the "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS" part. Let's not forget..."His lips are turning purple!!" Or, "Class, what does the word 'Desert' mean?" "Bookstore??"