Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

I'm sorry

This is an open letter to all the parents out there that I have wrongly judged over the years. I'd watch your kids be disruptive or even lash out and hit you. And I judged you. I thought, "My kids will never do that."

I judged you because I had no clue what it meant to be a parent. I'm quickly learning that sometimes I don't even know how to be an effective parent. So, I'm done judging. Yes, there are bratty kids out there who probably have parents that struggle to teach them how to behave. But I'd be sad if someone judged my parenting skills based on how Blake sometimes behaves. He's only 15 months old, but he's perfecting the art of tantrums. And despite my best efforts, he's started to hit.

But I'm learning that Blake is learning. He's learning what's right and wrong and I have to be the one to teach him. And I'm in it for the long haul, because I'm realizing it's going to be a long haul. I know what kind of person I want Blake to be. And helping him become that person is going to be made up of lots of mistakes, both on his part and mine.

So I'm sorry. I'm done judging. Now let's all get out there and do our best!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

If there's one thing I've learned since becoming a mother it's that parenting is a process. You are doing a great job!

Tori Wilding said...

Agreed! Although, I don't have any children....

Losing Brownies said...

I can relate to this post! My kiddo through the biggest tantrum in a resturant yesterday and I was "that mom" that I use to judge.